This program is for skilled workers with foreign work experience who want to immigrate to Canada on permanent basis.

How this program works

This program has minimum requirements for skilled work experience, language ability and education. On needs to meet all the minimum requirements to be eligible for express entry.

Selection factors

Once the applicant meets all the minimum requirements, then there is an assessment of application based on factors including age, education, work experience, whether one has a valid job offer, English or French language skills, and adaptability.

These factors are part of a 100-point grid used to assess eligibility for the Federal Skilled Worker Program. You earn points for how well you do in each of the aforementioned 6 factors.

One needs to avail atleast 67 points to be eligible to apply.

Method to use selection factor points

The selection factor points are used to assess your eligibility for the Federal Skilled Worker Program. Once you’re in the Express Entry pool, then there is use of a different system to rank the profile. The highest-ranking candidates from the pool are selected and invited to apply for permanent residence.

Minimum requirements

Skilled work experience

Skilled work experience means you’ve worked in one of the National Occupational Classification (NOC) job groups:

  • Managerial jobs (skill type 0)
  • Professional jobs (skill level A)
  • Technical jobs and skilled trades (skill level B)

One must show that while working in the primary occupation he performed the duties set out in the lead statement of the occupational description in the NOC. This includes all the essential duties and most of the main duties as described.

Your skilled work experience must have been:

  • in the same type of job (have the same NOC) as the job you want to use for your immigration application (called your primary occupation)
  • Should have been performed in the last 10 years
  • paid work (This means you must have been paid wages or earned commission)
  • at least one year of continuous work or 1,560 hours total (30 hours per week). You can meet this in a few different ways:
    • Full-time at one job with 30 hours/week for 12 months equal to 1 year full time (1,560 hours)
    • Equal amount in part-time with 15 hours/week for 24 months equal to 1 year full time (1,560 hours)
    • Full-time at more than 1 job with 30 hours/week for 12 months at more than 1 job equal to 1 year full time (1,560 hours)

For part-time work, you can work more or less than 15 hours/week as long as it adds up to 1,560 hours. Any hours worked above 30 hours/week are not counted.

Language ability

One must take approved language test in English or French for writing, reading, listening and speaking. In addition minimum score of Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) 7 in all 4 abilities is required. That result will then be entered in Express Entry profile.

The language tests are valid for 2 years after the date of the test result. They must be valid on the day you apply for permanent residence.


One must have have a certificate, diploma or degree of secondary (high school) and post-secondary education. In case of a foreign education, you must have a completed credential and an Educational Credential Assessment report from an approved agency showing that your education is equal to a completed certificate, diploma or degree from a Canadian secondary (high school) or post-secondary school.

Proof of funds

You must show that you have enough money for you and your family to settle in Canada unless you are currently authorized to work in Canada or have a valid job offer from a Canadian employer.

No Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

You may use these <abbr title="HyperText Markup Language">HTML</abbr> tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>